Friday, February 22, 2008

No such luck--computer f'cked






We are all familiar with the care instructions that come along with our rather expensive and prized technological wares--such as the computer for example. Don't drop, spill fluids, use abrasive cleaning agents, expose to direct sunlight, overheat, place on uneven surfaces, or keep the computer in temperatures which might indicate the sun had exploded. So, why when I have insured all of these things, for there can be no virus or worm which I am aware of in my meticulous and well plotted web activity; I have neither dropped, nor exposed my computer to withering temperatures, and yet... it still insists on behaving badly? Today I discovered that I can not type on MS Word without the cursor jumping around the page, my USB port is no longer recognizable, and the internet has refused me a certificate. My computer is less then a year old, but well into it's first temper tantrum.

Now, to the average citizen (not including web fanatics) this would appear only a mild problem, but to me who has to write EVERY single day, this is like cutting off my pinky. Okay, okay, maybe it's not nearly as painful, but... its really sucks. I've put in an order for a new laptop. I fully intend to get this one repaired, but I've always known I wanted two laptops--one for fun and the other for my career as a writer. I figure I'll just be getting another one sooner then later. this one is a highly recommended model with better memory, and color--Espresso. he!

Ah, well, we shall see how this one goes.

No comments: