Friday, December 11, 2009

Believe It or Not


Have you ever read a book that made you read a sentence over and over and over and over again because you just can't believe that you just read what you just read?! I never have, until today. Well actually, I cracked open this file last night and started to read, but I was too tired to continue. So today I started anew. And let me just tell you, before I jump into my rant, that I haven't even finished the story yet. I'm not far off, but I have fear and 'hope' for the ending.

You can find this ebook, Alive On the Inside, at Amber Quill Press. I was written by Naomi Brooks and Angelia Sparrow. I've read their works before and enjoyed them, plus, I'm not squeamish, and I can go for some unconventional lovemaking/characters. HOWEVER, *big sigh*, I don't think the warning adequately covers what you can expect in this story. Below I've included the warning.


This book contains graphic violence, hardcore bondage and punishment, torture and blood play. May not be suitable for the more sensitive reader.
(I also think this warning won't adequately convey what to expect because it has been used so frivolously in novels that don't even come near the level of violence and graphic detail of this novel.I've written bloody scenes myself, decapitation, implosion, explosions, and maiming. However, I don't think all that effects us when it happens in battle-scenes or as punishment. Battle we can understand. Punishment we can undestand, but pain at this level for the sake of pleasure? Well, that's just downright disturbing, eh?)

I'll leave that up to you daring readers to decide.

What they don't tell you are that there are some heavy religious issues faced in this story. As a matter of fact, a large portion of the story focuses on faith, belief in God, damnation, sodomy and the like. I think they should have included that in the warning as well. Anyhow, the story is quite unique. The writing is exceptional. The idea original. The execution's what horrified me. The main characters work for the Phantasmagoria: a circus that moves from town to town using the railroads to travel. The Phantasmagoria has been around, as the books says, forever, in one form or another. Its highly paranormal; the entire act is run on magic and mystery, fueled by the blood of the innocent and the souls of the guileless. But the guiltless murdering of innocent people isn't what horrified me either. After all, I am a huge horror fan, and I expected some sophisticated explanation of it all and in the end a redemption of some sort.

What GOT ME was the show itself. Of course I've seen movies about freaks and read up on all manner of disturbing scenarios but surely some of the horrifying acts, described in gory detail made even me--who does not have a penis-- shrivel up and die. I mean if I had a penis I would baby it for like three months after reading this. I would check every hour of the day to make sure it was still there. The acts performed by the characters during their performance made me a little queasy sometimes. If you have an imagination anything like mine and you decide to read this book, then perhaps you will know something of what I speak.

SPOILERS AHEAD! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

Expect everything you've seen in movies about freakshows/circuses like bearded women, Siamese twins, wicked clowns and deformed dwarves--freaks as they call them. Also expect these freaks to have sex, and expect a front-row seat. Expect dildos with spikes,cutting as entertainment, some character abuse.

As for the horror, one example that comes to mind is when Torturo, The Pain King, and MC of Alive on the Inside roasted his penis in a fire, stuck a fork in it, and tricked a man to bite into it to see that it was real. It was, and the guy bit the tip off. I almost died. I really did. The guy BIT OFF roasted penis.

Well, I don't want to offer up anymore spoilers. There are plenty more delights in the story. I'm off to finish reading this baby! I tip my hat to the two authors. They have balls--balls the size of basketballs. I hardly ever feel the compulsion to dissect a read, to share, or spoil any details of its offering, but I must say this one touched me deeply in a place I won't soon forget.

7 comments:

Angelia Sparrow said...

Hi,
Glad you're enjoying it.

You should have taken warning when I thanked Bryan Smith in the dedication. Naomi and me? We're pikers next to him.

Freaks are what they call themselves, actually. Born freaks, conjoined twins, giants, etc. rate higher than made freaks, like the tattooed lady, and both outrank working acts like the pain king or the blockhead.

Also, was it good touch or bad touch? *wicked grin*

Sage Whistler said...

Hey Angelia,

I knew either you or Naomi would be stopping by. Google alerts right? Haha I'm enjoying your story. I am about 30 pages from the finish line. It just keeps on getting more interesting.

I can't wait to see what reviewers have to say about it.


As for the touch, it was a little bit of both. :-)

Also, I'm going to go look up Bryan Adams.

Thanks for dropping by.

Angelia Sparrow said...

His Amazon page:
http://www.amazon.com/Bryan-Smith/e/B001JS7EQA/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

He's a lovely, quiet, unassuming man and his wife is a doll.

Sage Whistler said...

Ah, thanks for the link. Don't know where I got the "Adams" from. I wouldn't have found him looking up that. lol

Angelia Sparrow said...

No, but you would have gotten 80s Power Ballads, including "Everything I Do, I do it for you."

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
出國 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.