Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Dr. King Would Smile, I Think




Well, do I really have to say it? No. All over the world, on the internet, television, in newspapers, and by word of mouth, it is being said that Barack Obama is the first elected black president of the United States. Though I still refer to him as biracial, it is not my wish to detract from the significance of this event. I thought it would just be nice to post some pictures of him on my blog, so that perhaps when I am in my forties and fifties and god-willing have children of my own I can pull up this old blog and point to the date, and say "See, I witnessed History being made. I guess we all live in our huge slice of history. I may have missed Vietnam, World War I and II, but I lived through the horrifying pivotal point that was 9/11. I've seen the worse president we've ever had be re-elected a second time, and I've seen Barack Obama make history. I am happy to have lived in this generation. It was said all along that the younger generation would play a crucial part in the election of Barack and it appears that we have.

"A genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but a molder of consensus. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.

2 comments:

Mya said...

I almost...no I did cry once it finnally set in to me that it was real. A man of color in the white house, in my lifetime, that I voted for, and who has the bearing and intellect to represent us all...

Sage Whistler said...

So true, Mya. I am happy to see a shining example of what African Americans can accomplish if they put their minds to it. I just hope that more and more AA males and females follow his (and Michelle's) example, not necessarily winning the presidency but lifting themselves out of poverty. We need more scholars, more professionals, and most of all more responsible fathers.