Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Menage a Trois :Fair?






They say that the ultimate fantasy for a man is to have two women at the same time. So, shouldn't the same be true for women? Some women, yes. Others, no. In the world of fiction an increasingly popular theme is two guys and a girl. I admit that this theme can have a certain appeal. You would have to be pretty dull (as a woman) not to be at least flattered by the prospect of having two handsome, young, intelligent males vying for you attention and in most cases willing to share. Yet, as an author of gay fiction I always have the nagging thought of why in the heck a man would want to share ONE woman with another man. I mean, this happens in plenty of stories but no one ever really explains why the character wants to share. Does a 'straight' man really want to see 'his' woman having sex with another guy? IMO, hell no. That guy has got to have some latent gay feelings. If not then why does it turn him on to see his woman having sex with someone else. Must he not also appreciate the beauty of a male form if that said male is bangin' away with his wife or girlfriend? I'd like to think that in this case a man is definitely bi. And I won't even get too deep into the discussion on the case of brothers. Outside of science fiction, where usually the excuse is a triad relationship of some sort, why in the hell would two brothers want to come within kissing distance of each other while being intimate with the same woman? Now, if you've ever read Torn you know I don't have a problem with it. I just don't get the reasoning behind triads outside of Science Fiction.

In any case I find myself unable to read these stories any longer. For me, if there is a triad the pleasure must be equally shared, which means the males are bi. I can't get my head wrapped around the unfairness that a woman has two men to chose from. If she's pissed with Peter she can go to Paul. Yet if Paul gets the cold shoulder he has to wait for Anna? So, no, I'm not a fan of menage a trois involving supposedly straight men. Fairness all around, I say. :D

No comments: